We are offering more Shoestring Adventures in 2016 and looking for two leaders to guide upcoming trips.
Shoestring Adventures was created to provide accessibility and a supportive community for anyone who wants to experience the outdoors. The trips are less about hitting every tourist destination and more about learning skills, making friends and enjoying what nature has to offer.
With the support of your co-leader who’ll assist as needed, you will be running all aspects of the trip, including activities, risk management, wilderness medicine, meal preparation and outdoor learning. As a leader, we will arm you with all the tools you need to run a successful trip. We want people who are just as passionate about the outdoors as they are about connecting people. If this is you, apply to join our family of Shoestring Warriors!
- Lead groups of 5-10 campers on 3-day camping and backpacking adventures in Southern California
- Teach outdoor skills, including Leave No Trace, camp set-up, fire building, cooking and safe food handling
- Manage and minimize risk in a wilderness setting
- Lead or co-facilitate community building activities
- Prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for up to 12 people at a campsite with assistance from your co-guide and campers
- Follow the itinerary, but adapt quickly when things don’t go as planned
- 1-2 hours pre-trip work: review logistics, participant information, vehicle packing
- 1-2 hours post-trip work: unpacking & trip debrief
- Drive personal vehicle to/from trip locations
- Lead up to 3 trips in 2016 and potentially more in 2017. You may have a full-time job with flexibility to take at least 3 vacation days in 2016. Check out our schedule of upcoming trips!
- Willingness to become knowledgeable about Shoestring Adventures brand partnerships and educate campers about product
- Be a Shoestring Adventures ambassador and bring to life our values and culture
- Previous outdoor leadership experience
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification
- Outdoor knowledge with extensive front- and backcountry experience
- Own a car w/ valid driver’s license and insurance
- Live in or near Los Angeles
- Passionate, enthusiastic, highly-organized, and effective in high-pressure situations
- Ability to carry up to 50 lbs over three day backpacking trips (most trips are less)
- Current CA Food Handler’s certification or willingness to complete training
- Ability to attend Shoestring Adventures guide training trip May 21-22 and Big Sur Weekend Trip June 10-12
- Knowledge of local state and national park trail systems
- Shoestring Adventures alumni
- Get paid to do what you love!
- Gear discounts and access to free gear on an as-available basis
- Discount to share with your friends and family to participate on weekend trips
Thanks you for you interest in this opportunity! We are not currently seeking candidates for this position.