This summer, I went on two awesome backpacking trips in Montana’s Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and California’s Lost Coast.
Here is my 3-4 day backpacking gear checklist based on those trips, along with links to the gear I brought with me.
If you are planning your first backpacking trip, GetOutfitted offers convenient gear rentals on backpacks, tents, sleeping bags and pads.
Keep in mind, when you have to carry everything on your back, sharing is caring. For a group of 5, you may only need to bring 2 stoves, 2 water filters and 3 tents. Split the weight, and your body will thank you!
- Backpack: Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 Lightweight Backpack
- Backpack Liner or Rain Cover: Gossamer Gear Waterproof Pack Liner or Trash Compactor Bag
- Duct Tape (Wrapped around a trekking pole or pen for preventing hot spots/blisters and repairing gear)
- First Aid Kit: NOLS Med Kit
- Pocket Knife
- Headlamp + Extra Batteries
- Small Lighter and Matches
- Water Bladder: CamelBak Antidote Reservoir – 100 fl. oz.
- Water Treatment System: MSR HyperFlow Water Filter
- Tent/Shelter: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 Tent
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad
- Small Pillow (Optional)
- Camp Shoes: Teva Original Universal
- Hat: Parks Project Topo Camp Hat
- Trekking Poles: REI Traverse Power Lock Cork Trekking Poles
- Insulating Layer (i.e. Down Puffy of Fleece)
- Rain Jacket/Shell: Arc’teryx Beta AR Jacket
- Hiking Pants (1)
- Hiking Shorts (1)
- Hiking Shirt (1)
- Hiking Shoes: Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots
- Hiking Socks (2): SmartWool Hiking Socks
- Sports Bra (1)
- Underwear (2): Dear Kate Sport Hipster
- Camp/Sleeping Shirt (1): Icebreaker Oasis Half-Zip Long Underwear Top
- Camp/Sleeping Pants (1)
- All Purpose Soap: Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash
- Chapstick: Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lip Balm – SPF 50
- Floss (Pre-cut what you need)
- Toilet Paper + 2 Ziploc bags (1 for clean TP and 1 for soiled TP)
- Trowel: Sea to Summit Pocket Trowel
- Toothpaste (Only as much as you need in a small jar)
- Baby Wipes (Bring only as many as you need in a Ziploc)
- Small Towel
- Contact Lenses/Solution
- Small Comb/Rubberbands (Braids keep my mane tame.)
- Bug Repellant
- Hand Sanitizer
- Tecnu (If poison oak/ivy is present)
- Stove: Jetboil Flash Cooking System
- Cup or Bowl
- Spoon/Fork/Spork: Goassamer Gear Bamboo Backpacking Spoon
- Sponge (Cut from regular size)
- Coffee: Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee
- Dinners: Good To-Go Thai Curry
- Camp Chair
- Power: Goal Zero Venture 30 Solar Kit
- Dry Bag (For cell phone, camera)
- GPS/Satellite Device: DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Messenger
- Bathing Suit
- Pen & Journal
- Bear Spray (If needed)
- Bear Bag/Canister (If needed)
- Camera: Nikon D600
- Tripod: David & Sanford Quick Connect Tripod Connex
- Camera Mount: Peak Design Capture Clip (Click link to get 10% off purchase.)
- Memory Card
- Extra Battery
Is there anything you’d add to this list?
Disclaimer: I’m not an expert backpacker – these are just guidelines based on my experience. Also, this article includes affiliate links. If you purchase an item, Shoestring Adventures gets a small commission at no added cost to you. Thank you for supporting us with your purchase!
Join the Shoestring Adventures Club!
Join us today to receive exclusive perks and to take your adventures to the next level! Members will receive access to our private Facebook group, early-registration for events and special discounts.
Sign up today!